Setting Up a VPN Connection Manually
Setting up a VPN connection by using a VPN payload in a configuration profile usually works pretty well, especially if you're giving many iPads and iPhones access to the VPN.
If the VPN connection uses a manual proxy server, enter the details in the Server text box and Port text box.
But other times you may need to set up a VPN connection manually, or go in and tweak the settings you've applied with the configuration profile. This section shows you how to do so.
To create a new VPN connection, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, touch Settings | General | Network to display the Network screen.
- Touch the VPN item (down at the bottom of the screen) to display the VPN screen.
- Touch the Add VPN Configuration button to display the Add Configuration screen.
- Near the top of the screen, touch the button for the security type the VPN uses: L2TP, PPTP, or IPSec. The iPad or iPhone displays a list of the information required for the connection.
- Type in the details for the VPN configuration on the screen:
- Description: This is the name under which the VPN appears in the list of VPNs. Choose a descriptive name that will be clear to the user.
- Server: Type the computer name (for example, vpnserv.acmeheavy.com) or IP address (for example, 126.96.36.199) of the VPN server.
- Account Type the user's login name for the VPN connection. Depending on your company's or organization's network, this may be the same as the regular login name, but in most cases it's different for security reasons.
Next, you can set up the authentication as discussed in the following sections.
In this tutorial:
- iPad and iPhone Users Remote Access to the Network
- Planning How to Connect the iPad and iPhone to Your VPN
- Setting Up the iPad and iPhone to Connect to the VPN
- Specifying the Authentication for an L2TP VPN
- Specifying the Authentication for a PPTP VPN
- Specifying the Authentication for an IPSec VPN
- Specifying the Authentication for a Cisco AnyConnect VPN
- Enabling VPN On Demand for VPN Connections
- Setting Up a VPN Connection Manually
- Specifying the Authentication for an L2TP VPN Connection
- Specifying the Authentication for an IPSec VPN Connection
- Using a VPN
- Troubleshooting VPNs
- Remote Control of Computers on Your Network