Fixing the Problem When Wi-Fi Connects but Can't Access the Internet
If the iPad or iPhone can connect to the wireless network but can't access the Internet or other network areas, try renewing the DHCP lease. To do so, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, choose Settings | Wi-Fi to display the Wi-Fi screen.
- Touch the right-arrow button for the network to display its configuration screens.
- Touch the Renew Lease button. The iPad requests a new IP address from the iPad server, along with the subnet mask, router, and search domain information.
Finding the IP address the iPad or iPhone Is Using
To find the IP address an iPad or iPhone is using, choose Settings | General | About to display the About screen. Scroll down to the bottom, and then look at the Wi-Fi Address readout.
Resetting the Network Settings
Sometimes the network settings on an iPad or iPhone can get so thoroughly confused that you need to reset them in order to get the wireless network going. Don't do this lightly, because resetting the network settings wipes out network passwords and APN (carrier) settings.
To reset the network settings, choose Settings | General | Reset to display the Reset screen and then touch the Reset Network Settings button. In the confirmation dialog box that appears, touch the Reset Network Settings button.
In this tutorial:
- Troubleshooting iPad and iPhone
- Blank Screen on the iPad or iPhone
- Forcing a Frozen App to Close
- Restoring an iPad or iPhone
- Updating the iPad or iPhone with the Latest Firmware
- Troubleshooting Problems Connecting to Wireless Networks
- Fixing the Problem When Wi-Fi Connects but Can't Access the Internet
- Dealing with Charging Issues
- Dealing with Problems Connecting to iTunes
- Checking the USB Cable the Connection Is Using
- Closing Down the iTunes-Related Services in Windows
- Removing and Reinstalling iTunes and the Related Software on Windows
- Removing and Reinstalling the Apple Mobile Device Service on the Mac
- Squeezing the Most Battery Life Out of the iPad and iPhone
- Choosing Settings for Better Battery Life
- Turning Off Bluetooth
- Replacing the Battery on an iPad or iPhone