Forcing a Frozen App to Close
If an app stops responding completely, you can normally force it to close without resetting the iPad. Follow these steps:
- Press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button for several seconds. When the iPad or iPhone displays the red Slide To Power Off slider, release the Sleep/Wake button.
- Press and hold down the Home button for six seconds.
If that move doesn't force the frozen app to close, restart the iPad or iPhone, as discussed in the next section.
Troubleshooting the iPad or iPhone Freezing or Failing to Turn On
If the iPad or iPhone stops responding to the touch screen, or if it won't turn on at all, turn it off and on. Follow these steps:
- Turn the iPad or iPhone off. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the iPad or iPhone displays the red Slide To Power Off slider.
- Slide the slider to the right to turn the iPad or iPhone off.
- Restart the iPad or iPhone by holding down the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears on the screen. Then wait while it completes the boot process.
Resetting the iPad or iPhone
If turning the iPad or iPhone on and off as described in the preceding section doesn't restore its sunny nature, reset the device. To do so, hold down both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for ten seconds. You'll see the screen go dark. When the Apple logo appears on the screen, release the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button. Then wait while the iPad or iPhone completes the boot process.
In this tutorial:
- Troubleshooting iPad and iPhone
- Blank Screen on the iPad or iPhone
- Forcing a Frozen App to Close
- Restoring an iPad or iPhone
- Updating the iPad or iPhone with the Latest Firmware
- Troubleshooting Problems Connecting to Wireless Networks
- Fixing the Problem When Wi-Fi Connects but Can't Access the Internet
- Dealing with Charging Issues
- Dealing with Problems Connecting to iTunes
- Checking the USB Cable the Connection Is Using
- Closing Down the iTunes-Related Services in Windows
- Removing and Reinstalling iTunes and the Related Software on Windows
- Removing and Reinstalling the Apple Mobile Device Service on the Mac
- Squeezing the Most Battery Life Out of the iPad and iPhone
- Choosing Settings for Better Battery Life
- Turning Off Bluetooth
- Replacing the Battery on an iPad or iPhone