Using the Quick Access toolbar
The Quick Access toolbar appears to the right of the Office Button near the top of the screen, displaying icons that represent commonly used commands such as Save, Undo, and Redo.
The Quick Access toolbar provides one-click access to the most commonly used commands.
Using the Quick Access icons
If you click the Save icon in the Quick Access toolbar, Word 2007 saves your current file. If you are saving a new file, a dialog box pops up, asking you to choose a name for your file.
If you click the Print icon in the Quick Access toolbar, Word 2007 immediately prints one copy of your entire file through the default printer. (If you want to specify a different printer to use, the number of copies to print, or specific pages to print, click the Office Button and choose Print instead.)
The Redo icon reverses the last Undo command you chose. For example, if you delete a paragraph, Word 2007 makes that paragraph disappear. Then if you immediately click the Undo icon, the paragraph magically reappears. If you immediately click the Redo icon, the Redo command reverses the Undo command and deletes the paragraph once more.
The Undo icon is unique in that it offers two ways to use it. First, you can click the Undo icon to undo the last action you chose. Second, you can click the downward-pointing arrow that appears to the right of the Undo icon to display a list of one or more of your previous actions.
The most recent action you chose appears at the top of this list, the second most recent action appears second, and so on. To undo multiple commands, follow these steps:
- Click the downward-pointing arrow that appears to the right of the Undo icon in the Quick Access toolbar and move the mouse pointer to highlight one or more actions you want to undo.
- Click the left mouse button. Word 2007 undoes all the multiple actions you selected.
The Quick Access toolbar is designed to put your most commonly used commands where you can always find them. To add other icons to the Quick Access toolbar, follow these steps:
- Click the Customize Quick Access Toolbar arrow. A pull-down menu appears.
You can add an icon to the toolbar by just clicking on an icon name, such as Quick Print or New, from the pull-down menu.
- Click More Commands. An Options window appears. The panel on the right shows all the current icons on the Quick Access toolbar.
The panel on the left shows all the additional icons you can add.
The Options window lets you select the icons you want to add to the Quick Access toolbar.
- Click in the Choose Commands From list box and choose a menu title, such as File or Page Layout. The left panel displays a list of icons and commands. Click an icon and then click the Add button and Click OK. Your chosen icon (or icons) now appears on the Quick Access toolbar.
You can remove icons from the Quick Access toolbar at any time. To remove an icon, follow these steps:
- Right-click an icon on the Quick Access toolbar. A pull-down menu appears and then click Remove from Quick Access Toolbar. Word 2007 removes your selected icon from the Quick Access toolbar.
Moving the Quick Access toolbar
The Quick Access toolbar can appear in one of two places:
- Above the Ribbon (its default location)
- Below the Ribbon
To move the Quick Access toolbar, follow these steps:
- Click the Customize Quick Access Toolbar arrow. A pull-down menu appears and then choose Place Quick Access Toolbar Below (or Above) the Ribbon. If the Quick Access toolbar currently appears over the Ribbon, you will see the Place Quick Access Toolbar Below the Ribbon command. If the Quick Access toolbar appears under the Ribbon, you will see the Place Quick Access Toolbar Above the Ribbon command.
Minimizing the Ribbon
You can tuck the Ribbon out of sight temporarily so it only appears when you click on a tab such as Home or Insert. To hide the Ribbon, follow these steps:
- Click the downward-pointing arrow that appears to the right of the Undo icon in the Quick Access toolbar. A pull-down menu appears and then click Minimize the Ribbon. Word 2007 hides the Ribbon and only displays the tabs. To display the Ribbon again, repeat these two steps.