Modifying the Text to Speech Settings
When using Text to Speech, you can modify the speaking voice used as well as the speed at which the program reads your data entries. To change these Text to Speech settings, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button on the Windows taskbar and then select Control Panel.
- If you're in Category view, click the Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices link and then click the Speech link. Otherwise, in Classic view, double-click the Speech icon.
- Select the Text to Speech tab in the Speech Properties dialog box.
- Select the name of the voice that you want to use from the Voice Selection drop-down list.
- Select the Use the Following Text to Preview the Voice text box and then edit the text that you want the voice to say to you.
- Click the Preview Voice button to have the voice that you selected read back the text shown in the Use the Following Text to Preview the Voice text box.
- If you want to adjust the voice speed, drag the Voice Speed slider toward Slow or Fast to either slow down the speaking or speed it up.
After adjusting the speed, be sure to click the Preview Voice button again to make sure that you haven't slowed or sped up the rate of speaking too much.
- Click OK to close the Speech Properties dialog box and then click the Close button in the Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices window to close it.