Converting a Phone Number into a Contact
Your iPhone is at its most efficient when the numbers you call are part of your Contacts list. Then, not only can you add contacts to the Favorites list for quick, speed-dial-like access, but you can also use the index (the letters A, B, C, and so on that run down the right side of the Contacts list). Then, it just takes a few finger flicks to rapidly find and tap the person with whom you want to chin-wag.
You can also convert a phone number on your Recent Calls list to a contact. On the Home screen, tap Phone, and then tap Recents to open the Recent Calls list. Locate the name or phone number you want to convert to a contact and then tap the blue More Info icon. Tap Create New Contact, fill in the other contact info, and then tap Save.
Here is a quick way to add a contact right from the Phone app keypad:
- In the Home screen, tap Phone. The Phone app appears.
- In the menu bar, tap Keypad. The Keypad screen appears.
- Type the phone number of a person you want to add as a contact.
- Tap the Add Contact icon to the leftof the Call button, as shown in Figure below.
After you type a phone number using the keypad, tap the Add Contact icon to create a contact for the number.
- Tap Create New Contact. The New Contact screen appears.
- Fill in the other contact info as needed.
- Tap Save. Your iPhone adds the new contact and returns you to the Keypad screen.
- Tap Call to proceed with the phone call.
The phone number you are dialing might be an alternative number of an existing contact. For example, you may already have set up the contact with a home number, but now you are dialing that person's cell number. In that case, tap the Add Contact icon and then tap Add to Existing Contact. Use the Contacts list to tap the contact, choose the phone type (such as mobile), and then tap Save.