Making network and Bluetooth settings
There are a few settings you can make for your networks and Bluetooth under the General settings: ones for virtual private networks (VPNs), ones for Wi-Fi networks, and finally, settings for 3G networks.
You may have read in the news that your iPad and iPhone save a record of your every move. If you don't like that idea, plug your iPad or iPhone into your computer and when iTunes opens, click on your device. Then, with the Summary tab selected, click on the Encrypt iPhone/iPad Backup option. Apple can't find you anymore!
Another setting you can make in the Network area of General settings is to turn Location Services on or off. Turning this on lets apps like Maps find your current physical location. If you turn this feature off and an app needs Location Services to function, it will prompt you to turn it on.
Setting up a VPN
A virtual private network (VPN) allows you to access a private network, such as one at your office, over the Internet. A VPN lets you make such a connection securely, and your iPad allows you to make settings for activating your connection.
In Settings you can do two things: turn VPN on or off, and configure a VPN network. In this tutorial, I handle the on/off task only, as configuring a VPN network is covered elsewhere.
For more about connecting to your company network remotely and configuring a VPN.
To turn VPN on, follow these steps:
- Tap the Settings icon on the Home screen.
- Tap General and then tap Network.
- Tap VPN and in the following dialog tap the Off button till it reads On.
Note that if you haven't yet configured your VPN, an Add Configuration dialog appears.
In this tutorial:
- Managing iPad Settings
- Making Brightness and Wallpaper Settings
- Controlling the Picture Frame
- Managing General Settings
- Making network and Bluetooth settings
- Making Wi-Fi settings
- Handling security
- Controlling keyboard settings
- Accessibility and Ease of Use
- Setting up and using VoiceOver
- Using Mono Audio
- Working with the Reset feature
- Settings for Individual Apps