The Linked Table Manager
The Linked Table Manager is an important tool for working with linked tables. It allows you to move tables to another folder or another drive and then update the link to that table.
Move and Update Table Links
To move and update table links, follow these steps:
- Choose Linked Table Manager from the Import & Link group on the External Data tab of the Ribbon. The Linked Table Manager appears.
- Select the linked tables you want to update.
- Select the Always Prompt for New Location check box.
- Click OK.
- Select the folder or drive to which you have moved the table.
- Select the table, and then click Open.
- Click OK.
You might at some time have a link that you no longer need. For example, you might import data because it is no longer necessary to use the legacy system that you have in place. The following are the steps necessary to remove such a link:
- Select the link you want to remove.
- Press the Delete key. The dialog box appears.
- Click Yes to remove the link. The link is removed.
It is important to note that this process does not remove the linked object. It just removes the link.
In this tutorial:
- Sharing Data with Other Applications
- What Is External Data?
- Looking at Supported File Formats
- Exporting to an Excel Spreadsheet
- Exporting to ASCII
- Importing from Another Access Database
- Importing ASCII Data
- Linking to Tables in Another Access Database
- Linking to Another Type of Database
- Linking to SQL Server Databases
- The Linked Table Manager