Getting Familiar with the iWork Interface
You'll find that each of the iWork apps has a very similar look and feel. One of the coolest advantages of iWork is that major features - not just small operations such as changing a font or selecting a color - are available using the same method in all its applications. You really have only one program to understand when you're using iWork, so I give you an overview of all that common functionality to get you started.
The iWork apps are updated periodically. If an update is available, you'll see the App Store on your iPad Home screen with a number indicating downloads are available.
Creating a new document
You create a new document in the same way for each of the iWork apps. Follow these steps:
- Tap any of the iWork app icons to launch the application.
The documents screen appears. This screen is titled My Documents in the Pages app. My Spreadsheets in Numbers, and My Presentations in Keynote.
Note that when you first open one of the iWork apps, you see a single document that contains basic information and instructions for that app.
If you see My Documents on the button in the top-left corner, you're not on the documents screen; you're on the screen for working with an individual document, and tapping My Documents (or My Spreadsheets or My Presentations) brings you to the documents screen.
- Depending on the application you're working in, tap the New Document (Pages), New Spreadsheet (Numbers), or New Presentation (Keynote) button in the top-left corner of the My Documents screen. The Choose a Template screen appears.
- Tap the template you want to use as a starting point, or tap Blank to
start working with a completely clean document.
If you change your mind, you can click the Cancel button (which replaces the New button) and you'll be returned to the documents screen.
The templates are different for each of the iWork apps.
- Your new document opens on the screen.
In this tutorial:
- iWork for iPad Apps
- Presenting the iWork for iPad Apps
- Getting Familiar with the iWork Interface
- Locating a document
- Identifying other common iWork features
- Working with Photos and Images
- Managing Your iWork Documents
- Copying a file from an iWork for iPad app
- Moving files to your computer from your iPad
- iWork.com: Playing well together